Funeral



Originally uploaded by Simon Bracken

My uncle died yesterday. He was old and it was expected, but it's still sad. I liked this uncle a lot. He was soft spoken, looked a lot like John Wayne, love dobermans, and had a very large gun collection. He wore dark blue jeans or polyester wranglers. He had a flat top. He was a good hugger. He and his wife had amazing 60's furniture and kept m&m's out for guests. Their house was always cold in the summer and smelled good - musky, like jasmine flowers and deer hunting.

I can't think of the last time I went to a funeral. Funeral customs are fascinating to me. Especially the Chinese.

The picture above is of a man in Singapore who makes paper houses and cars to be burned at funerals. Apparently paper models of cars, statues, ships, houses, are carried during the procession to symbolize the wealth of the deceased's family. And paper cans of soup, paper fruit, paper slippers, paper cell phones, paper ipods, paper cigarettes, etc. are burned so that the person who died can take it with them? I can't find a whole lot of information other than what I found on flickr and here, so if you know something more, let me know - I'm curious.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. The two year anniversay of a sad death for me is tomorrow. I'm ready for this death thing to be over.
    When I lived in Taiwan/HK as a five-six year old, I was thrilled daily by all the parades, with the music and the dragons. Yeah, those were funerals. Maybe that's the way to do it. Or New Orleans style.

    ReplyDelete