Summer's Last Harvest


So this guy who I think has excellent taste (mainly because it's similar to mine) told me that I absolutely must try Wom Kim Peach Pudding at the Hyde Park Grill here in Austin.
Does it sound good to you? wom kim peach pudding? Honestly, I wasn't really sold. For starters, for some reason, the word pudding kind of grosses me out. Plus, how in the world could it be better than this?
I was craving chicken fried steak last week, and I've been on a search to find the spot for it in Austin. I've been told HPG (sorry kay) has a good one, so I figured I could feed two birds with one crumb. The chicken fried steak was decent but the peach pudding was insane.
So good. My sister makes this "dump cake" that I love, and this was like the rockefeller version of it. (crazy that "dump cake" sounds better than "peach pudding" to me, but it does!).
It's insane.
Warm peaches nestled under a buttermilk-vanilla cake soaked in heavy cream, I mean it's fucking crazing in-sane. I don't feel like I'm selling it yet.
It's rich and complex, but not too sugary or obnoxious. The Leonardo DiCaprio of desserts.
Don't believe me?
Make it yourself. Because it was in motherfuckin' Bon Appetit this month bitch! ( I promise, I'll only cuss on this blog if I'm talking about desserts. Promise.)
The recipe isn't on epicurious but Angela posted it yesterday on shelterrific -hooray!

Peach Pudding Cake, from Hyde Park Bar & Grill
as seen in Bon Appetite, August 2007

Nonstick veggie oil spray
1 3/4 plus 2 tbs all purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 tbs vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
4 cups peeled, sliced peaches (about 3 pounds)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13X9X2 inch glass baking dish with vegetable oil spray. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a large bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat in vanilla, then eggs, one at a time, incorporating weel after each addition. Using low speed, beat in flower mixture alternately with buttermilk in three additions each, beating well between additions.

Transfer batter to baking dish, spreading evenly. Arrange peach slices over batter, overlapping slightly as needed. Spray sheet of foil with vegetable oil spray; cover cake with foil, spray side down, and seal at edges.

Bake 45 minutes. Remove foil (some cake may stick). Bake until top is golden brown, edges are crusty, and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes longer. Cool one hour. Serve warm with whipped cream [or icecream or heavy cream].

6 comments:

  1. Speaking of pudding, why is it that in merry olde England, pudding can mean whatever one wants it to mean? It can mean sausage (blood, black, or white pudding), cake (fig or sticky toffee pudding), pot-pie (steak & kidney pudding), popover (Yorkshire pudding) and, presumably anything else the Brits decide pudding can be.

    I'll tell you what I like-piggy pudding from Sugar Sweet Sunshine. Terrible name though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/roboppy/23166171/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said.. on my death bed, I would like a giant piece of this pie to be presented to me.. and a big ole spoonfull to be shoved in my mouth so it is the last thing I think of and taste before slipping off into finality. Or maybe some Christian Brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Now I want THAT but I was going to make something less-than-healthy for dinner tomorrow (though I lighten it up w/ turkey pepperoni and lowfat evap milk) - did I ever give you this recipe? Sweet Jesus.
    http://somethingsoclever.blogspot.com/2006/09/new-twist-on-mac-and-cheese.html

    But I digress, if I make the peach thang, then I should make something healthy for dinner or wait til Tuesday to make it but then I wouldn't get more than one day with it since O & I are Jersey/NY bound on Wednesday. How vexing.

    And finally, speaking of peaches, did you ever find a pint of Willie's Ben & Jerry's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And for the record, my dump cake has no pineapple and up to "a stick of buttah" (I just searched for that video on You Tube - no luck, you find it, okay?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFy2jHSIOKA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Thank you, thank you! I tried finding a short that I used to see on nickjr.com of Spike Lee's kid's book Please Baby Please because the babies reminded me of each other but it's no longer there and I couldn't find it on youtube and I really should do some actual work so thanks for guiding me to that Sesame Street cutie.

    ReplyDelete