Shrinking Music Videos?

This morning, before my first cup of coffee, I was mesmerized by how many commercials are being shot in a wide screen aspect ratio. Then, during my first cup of coffee, I heard a report on NPR about how music videos are being shot for YouTube now instead of television, so directors are (reluctantly?) moving toward "center framing," which puts the image in the middle (see Beyonce video below). Then, as I went through my day, I kept noticing people posting the video "Her Morning Elegance." (see below)

The video is a great example of how to use a music video as it was intended: a marketing device. The song is just okay - but the video revolves around a good, simple concept and it's very well executed. Which means it has a high probability of being passed along, if for no other reason than it's neat-o to watch. Not unlike the OK Go video on the treadmills (see below).

The jist of the NPR report is that online music videos have shifted the focus towards creativity and ingenuity rather than big budgets. Which I think is true, and that can't be bad, right?

That's all. Just something I found of interest today.


Her Morning Elegance:


Here It Goes Again:


Single Ladies: ( I love this video. )

No comments:

Post a Comment