Twee


Something really important happened to me today.
I’ve admitted to myself that I like twee pop.
I like it, and that's okay. I like giddy-sweet-playful-messy music. That's how I want my life to be...so why shouldn't my music be that way too???

I think I've been turned off by the term since high school. There was a large group of us were sort of anti the whole post-grunge-alternative scene (no 311 or goo goo dolls please) but from there, a second divide spawned...

Basically, if you drove your parents old volvo, knew where you were going to college and brought your lunch to school, you probably were listening to sebadoh, guided by voices, weezer and maybe a little underground rap. If you rode the bus, slept in the same room as your siblings, and ate frozen eggrolls for dinner you were probably listening to the dead kennedys, the misfits, black flag, and playing your own stuff (loudly and poorly) for your friends in your bedroom.

I guess I fell somewhere in the middle. I wanted to be more like the kids who didn't aspire to be cool or tough, who wore clunky glasses, made good grades and got an allowance. They drove with their windows down, a cute bobble head toy on their dashboard, and not a care in the world.
But I felt more comfortable with the traditionalists - the kids who just discovered the sex pistols and the exploited, and wanted more of that. Why bother finding new bands when there were still so many old ones to explore? Why buy the new pavement cd when your friend can just make you a tape the first gang of four record that his sister handed down? I mean jesus, how can you start learning about new bands when you're still trying to figure out how to pronounce "pere ubu" and still seem tough?

After high school I moved out of texas and fell in love with the velvet underground, jonathan richman, and various french pop singers.Which… I'm now discovering is what influenced the twee pop movement. So what have I been fighting??? Why do I want to be so tough? Even most of my friends from high school branched off into a world of punk-metal and then later minimal, rhythmic electronic music, which mellowed all that angst and hostility. More like thom yorke, less like henry rollins.

Heavenly's Amelia Fletcher said: "It's about not being ashamed of it. I mean, I spent from age 13 to age 17 trying to act like I was 25 and trying to prove to boys that I knew all about sex, when I didn't, and trying to prove I was cool and no one could hurt me, when they could. At 18, I thought 'fuck it, I don't care anymore. I'm just gonna be what I feel like being.'"

I guess it took me an extra 10 years to get there.



Guardian article
tweeasfuck myspace
edwyn collins myspace

2 comments:

  1. Look at you posting all your YouTube videos... I am impressed.... Now YouTube debates on CNN?!?! What is next? iPhone driver's ed?

    I like reading your posts. Remember that time we went to the place where the planes fly over your head and then we had that long awkwardly depressing drive home...

    I think of that when things don't seem to be going well. ( shivers)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've created a false dichotomy, lady. It doesn't have to be either "twee-pop" (even writing it makes me retch a little) or being tough. Why not listen to Charles Ives? He's weird and messy and his name isn't "Dressy Bessy." I'm failry confident this faze of your won't won't last though. Once you hit 30 you'll stop caring about music at all. As well as everything else.

    ReplyDelete