Stig Lindberg


January is a particularly good time for thrift store shopping. It's the combination of year-end charitable contributions and unwanted Christmas present donations. John and I went to 12 thrift stores on Saturday. On our way to dinner that night, on a whim, we stopped into one more. It was there I found a 23 piece set of Gustavsberg plates, cups and saucers in Stig Lindberg's Prunus pattern.



I can't quite remember how I first discovered Stig Lindberg, but I know I fell in love instantly. The same way I have fallen for Kaj Franck, Esteri Tomula, Antti Nurmesniemi, Grete Prytz Kittelsen, and various other Scandinavian designers who created fanciful, straightforward, colorful, tableware sometime between 1948 and 1984.
Stig Lindberg (1916-1982) was one of Sweden's most popular designers, and most Swedes still have Gustavsberg tableware designed by him. Arbor, Terma, and Bersa were some of the most popular. But Lindberg did many other things in art and design-everything from fajanser for Gustavsberg, televisions for Luma to children's illustrations of Krakel spectacle. For the general public, however, Lindberg is best known for what he did during the Swedish art industry's heyday. Particularly in the 1950s and 1960's Lindberg was one of the most prominent designers of the Swedish welfare state. Even today, his successful design and even the simple pieces are rising rapidly in price. - Google Translation from the Gustavsberg site.


His most popular pattern is Bersa (top right).

Here's the Tv he designed:

Take a look at these images and then tell me if you think Jonathan Adler was inspired by his work...

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your fabulous find! I lust after his work in EBay, but it consistently goes out of my price range.

    I'm a huge Stig Lindberg fan, too. I'm a textile geek, so got there through his textile designs though. One of my blog posts shows quilting I designed after one of his textile designs.

    I don't know what it is about 1940's decorative art that gets me, but I love it too. Are you familiar with Josef Frank's work? He's another of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela - Thank you! Yes I love Josef Frank. I first saw his work at anthropologie actually. They had a wingback chair upholstered in the "Grona Faglar" pattern, (the one with the oversized birds and trees) and I loved it.
    Your work is beautiful. I've wanted to start quilting for a couple of years now. Maybe I'll have the time, space, and patience to start at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One other thing: Do you know much about the textile work that Stig Lindberg did with Astrid Sampe? I'm mesmerized by her work - *especially* her collaboration with the IBM programmer in the mid-70's. It's on my list of things to obsessively investigate at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,

    I first saw Josef Frank's designs at Liberty of London. They seemed so fresh, exuberant and new that I was astonished to learn that he did them decades ago.

    I don't know anything about Astrid Sampe, or her collaboration with Stig Lindberg. If I find anything I'll keep you posted. Now I want to obsessively investigate those other designers you mentioned. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica,

    I hope you don't mind, but I just linked you at flickr, and added you at twitter, too. I think I got here from the CRAFT's tweet earlier today. You've got a super blog going here. Lots of great design stuff, and film, and music!

    pamela

    ReplyDelete