Tweens

I'm guilty. I love Libby Lu. I think Miley Cyrus has a right to pose for Annie Lebowitz. I watched the count down for the Olsen twins' 18th and 21st birthdays. I think it's cute when a 10 year old is wearing platform shoes and carrying a purse. But I would never encourage that behavior from my daughter. And as much as I love(?) watching the media exploit underage females...lemme make it clear - I don't think it's a good thing.

This Salon interview with M. Gigi Durham is really great. I mean, there's not a lot we can do about what the media portrays as sexy (or what the parents of teen celebrities allow) but parents can at least attempt to help kids understand that what they are seeing is not the norm and encourage better role models.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to see what Emma Watson and Vanessa Hudgens have been up to...

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I guess it's for the best that I have no idea who Libby Lu is and no opinion or interest in Miley Cyrus. Having said that, I'm happy to see you make reference to Ms. Watson's recent beaver shot, however oblique. (The reference not the...never mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this post at Glitterati Gossip best sums up my feelings about the recent shots of E.W. It's absurd how the second a girl turns 18 she's suddenly fair game for paparazzi crotch shots and Maxim Hot 100.
    I've become much more interested in Miley since she started hanging out with LoRo (Lohan and Ronson) - who are apparently influencing her in all the right ways. And of any of the shots I've seen of miley (and I'm pretty sure I've seen them all) the second half of this video is the most disturbing by far.

    ReplyDelete