Apologizes in advance for a sloppy stream of conscious posting....



Do you ever find something on youtube and almost get teary eyed? The above video is probably pretty "whatever" for most, but this footage is something that 10 years ago would not just be floating around publicly for all to see. It'd be one of those things that you watch at a party and there would be some long story as to how it was found, and you actually would be pretty impressed, but you'd wish you could just watch it and not have to listen to a bunch of blather... Well now you can. Thank you Youtube!

This video is important because this is early early Heartbreakers. I've wanted to see/hear this for a long time.

Background (humor me, wont you? I'll try not to go on tooo long...):
Richard Hell and Tom Verlaine formed the Neon Boys in 1974, and shortly thereafter changed their name to Television. The Heartbreakers formed because Johnny Thunders (and I think maybe the drummer too?) quit the New York Dolls the same week Richard Hell quit Television (or okay, maybe was kicked out for being on drugs all the time).
Richard Hell was only in The Heartbreakers for a few months, but there he is(!) in this clip - on stage - playing bass.
After his stint with the Heartbreakers he started Richard Hell and the Voidoids. (I get the feeling like he was unhappy in Television and the Heartbreakers because he wanted to be center stage - as well he should be.)

Blank Generation, the Voidoids first album, came out in 1977. The whole album is great, but the single, "Blank Generation" is a classic. It heavily influenced the Sex Pistols' "Pretty Vacant". The first time I heard this album I didn't listen to anything else for weeks. I felt like I was listening to something groundbreaking which, of course, didn't make any sense because it had come out you know, like the year before I was born.




1974 was sorta like a totally magical year for music...
The Ramones formed and played their first show, and their first show at CBGB's.
"Hey Joe" by Patti Smith was released,
Blondie formed, and
the original Alice Cooper band broke up.

Also of note: Yes sold out two nights at Madison Square Garden without any advertising, and Relayercame out. (that's for you John *wink*).

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how much any of this will relate and I have a feeling that this too will be a "sloppy stream of conscious posting." So, I usually don't spend much time on youtube (I simply don't have the patience for it, for reasons I believe I've mentioned to you before), but I did spend a good portion of an hour the other day looking at all this footage of Rowland S Howard. You probably don't know who Rowland S. Howard is, nor would I expect you to. (For the record, he was the guitarist for The Birthday Party, Crime & the City Solution, and These Immortal Souls as well as doing some solo stuff.) Finding anything by or about him used to be exceedingly difficult. (I still recall how excited I was when, as a 17 year old visiting my dad in NYC for the first time, I found These Immortal Souls' first album.) And I here I was, with an embarrassment of riches at my fingertips. The sort of stuff I could only have dreamed of seeing when I was a teenager. As with you, it was poignant for me. But I have sort of mixed emotions about the immediate gratification available from the interweb. On the one hand, it's great being about to find obscure performances and interviews on youtube; to be able to order albums/cds with the click of a button when it used to take weeks/months/years to track them down. The downside is much of the fun, much of the thrill was in the hunt. When it took me a year to find a record, I'd cherish it. I would obsess over the cover and liner notes; my first listen was anything but casual. I don't think this happens much for me any more. Certainly, much of this is a function of age, but the rarity too also transformed an record into a semi-sacred object. Granted, there are still finds to be had, still holy grails to be found. (My personal one is the vinyl copy of Long Hair in Three Stages by U.S Maple-I've been searching for that since a month before it was officially released in '95)Anyway, I apologize for the length and incoherence of this reply. And I don't mean to sound like one of those bitter old people who talk about how much better life was before this new-fangled technology took over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, I didn't realize how much I blabbed. Sorry again for the length.

    ReplyDelete