I Want More


I got to sing back up vocals for the Karate Kids last weekend. Have I preached just how great that band has been for my ego? I sang baritone on one song and a nasal jean stapleton redition on another, and then two others straight forward. I think it was the first time I realized why people enjoy singing so much. A big release. I wasn't afraid to be unattractive - or to look silly / sound silly because everyone in the band was so encouraging. So sweet.

I've always thought the only song I could sing well is "Part of Your World". Or at least, until my terrifying experience in the NYU musical theater program where I perfected "I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say No" from Oklahoma. I'd say "Part of Your World" circulates through my head at least once a day. I'll also admit that I really relate to Ariel. Especially in that song. It's embarrassing, but true.

This is the other that gets me every time. Ugh. I know. I can't help it. I don't want to be that way honestly. My fourth-wave feminist self hates me. But jeez- Wipe away the tears...


WARNING: NSFW.

I can't help it - I get a good chuckle outta this one:



Here are a few other great mermaid sites:
Official Mermaid Day Parade Site
Mermaid Day parade photos
Michel Gondry Levi's Commercial
A show I've always wanted to see. It never got picked up for some reason.
I want to go here so badly.
Mermaid Inn NYC

p.s. Only 9 days 'til disneyland.

1 comment:

  1. Singing makes me nervous. Being so naked up there in front of everybody. The exception is the ancient art of karaoke, but with that I can cover myself in a protective layer of irony. Then again, I suspect that the Karate Kids aren't exactly dripping with sincerity.

    As a pround Dane you should shun the Disney-fied Little Mermaid and stick to the original, depressing story.

    Also, watched the videos at work with the sound off. Made no sense

    ReplyDelete