Kate Bingaman-Burt


I love Kate Bingaman-Burt's work for some of the same reasons I like Martha Rich. It's simple and has a sense of humor, but is also meaningful. My favorite are her daily purchase drawings-simple pen and ink drawings of items that she's purchaced that day. I think it's unintentional, but she makes a statement about American consumerism. There's something about "tracing" your purchases that holds you accontable, and makes them more real.



www.obsessiveconsumption.com
www.whatdidyoubuytoday.com
www.kateconsumption.etsy.com

Also check out the embroidery patterns from Sublime Stitching which she designed as a tie-in for the forthcoming documentary Handmade Nation.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so this is one of those posts that I don't feel equipped to respond to in any meaningful way, but still admire. Also, I appreciate all the effort that goes into a post like this. It ends up being attractive and chock full of info. (Do I somehow sound snobby again?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you don't sound snobby, and I appreciate the accolades. Is that the word i'm looking for? 'accolades'?

    ReplyDelete