Why is it that there are some albums out there that never make the transition from vinyl to cd?
I'd say my best Christmas present last year was probably the soundtrack to Popeye. My mom says as a toddler it was one of my favorite movies and as an adult, I can say I'm a pretty big Nilsson fan.

As far as I can tell, there is not a CD version out there, which I think is really weird. I think it was issued on cassette in the 80's, and actually, there might of been some cd versions of it in Europe, but that was it. Jon Brion used it in "Punch Drunk Love" - but still, no CD.


The music from Popeye, might be some of my favorite of Nilsson's, or at least "He Needs Me" is one of my all time favorites of his (did he orchestrate the strings??). I didn't realize what other "big wigs" were on the album (Ray Cooper and Klaus Voorman) until searching their names. No slacks...

1 comment:

  1. I imagine it has to do with either copyrights or sales. But this can make the album more special (albums having more of aura about them, not to sound all hippy-dippy). For example, do you know that album by Coven, the hippie satanists that sang light-psych songs about witches and the dark lord and stuff until, for whatever reason, they gave up on Satan to sing the theme song to Billy Jack? Anyway, I have their Witchcraft album on vinyl (which took some time to find and cost a pretty penny), and I have to say, I was totally bummed when it got issued on CD. Not just because it was now available to the unwashed masses (though that did play a part), but also because all the things that made the album seem cool (the size, the double gatefold sleeve of the black mass, etc) weren't there anymore.

    ReplyDelete